When asking the question “what is the world’s number one scotch?” there is a lot to debate about and it’s likely avid scotch drinkers will all give you a different answer. Over the years, Johnny Walker Red Label has remained the top-selling scotch worldwide. However, the market success of this scotch may not equivalate to it being the best you can buy.
There are a lot of things you need to consider when determining the best scotch in the world. Market success is only one of them. The quality, flavor profile, and price are all important things that determine which scotch is really the best. You should also make note of any awards a scotch has won and what the average consumer reviews on the beverage.
Do you want to know what the number 1 scotch in the world is? Keep reading to find out which one you should be sipping on.
Sipping this article:
- The World’s Number One Scotch
- The Number One Scotch in the World in Sales
- Best Choice for Scotch Whiskies
- The World’s Number One Scotch for People on a Budget?
- The Number One Scotch Regarding Aging
- World’s Number One Scotch Regarding Cask Strength
When we analyze the question “what is the world’s number one scotch?” there are a lot of directions to go when trying to answer it.
- What is the best-selling scotch worldwide?
- Which scotch tastes the best?
- What is the best scotch for casual drinking?
- What is the best scotch to give as a gift?
- Which scotch has won the most awards?
Even the most seasoned scotch drinker you know will provide you with a different answer to each of these questions. If you’re just stepping your foot into the world of scotch whiskies, then you’ll notice right away that there are a lot of options in front of you.
So, which one is the best? Every scotch drinker is different than the next, so there are a few things you will need to consider:
- Age – The best scotches will have the age listed on the bottle. Many scotch drinkers will point out that a scotch labeled as NAS (no age statement) is typically overpriced with a flavor that isn’t worth getting excited over.
- Type of Scotch – There are five types of Scotch Whisky: Single malt, blended malt, single grain, blended grain, or blended.
- Maturation – Review the scotch label to see if there is any information about how the scotch was matured and the wood casket that was used for maturation.
- Scotch Tasting Notes – Woody, winey, cereal, fruity, floral, peaty, sulfury, or feinty.
- Color – Some scotch may be artificially colored to give it a more appealing look. If you prefer a scotch that is naturally colored, review the label and choose a scotch that has not been chill-filtered.
When it comes to the top scotch in the world, we are going to look at market sales. Scotch first made a splash among US consumers in the 1980s and sales continue to grow each year. While the amount of Scotch sales continues to rise each year, the top-selling scotch in the world has never changed.
Johnny Walker Red Label Scotch continues to hold the title of number one scotch in the world. Scotch lovers continue to put this single malt liquor on top of their list. What is it about this scotch that continues to make it the number one choice year after year among consumers?
Johnny Walker is a well-known brand in the whisky market. While this brand has produced many delicious blends over the years, the red label always surpasses the other blends. Even though the blue label and the gold label (among others) have impressed scotch drinkers, they don’t hit the spot quite like Johnny Walker Red Label does.
One of the main reasons why Johnny Walker Red Label is the world’s number one scotch is because less is more. Scotch drinkers will always judge a whisky based on aroma. When the scent of Johnny Walker Red Label hits the nose, it’s an easy aroma that people enjoy. The main scents that people pick up are green apples and honey with a slight touch of wax and ash.
While this scotch may smell nice, it’s the flavor profiles that keep people coming back for more. This scotch has strong cereal notes with a hint of peaty notes for a well-balanced flavor. There is a honey flavor that completes this popular scotch.
The price of Johnny Walker Red Label is different in each region, however, when it’s compared to other scotch whiskies of similar quality, the price range is quite reasonable.
Over 2021, the following ten brands topped the list of best-selling scotch brands worldwide:
- Johnny Walker
- William Lawson’s
- Chivas Regal
- Black & White
- William Peel
- Label 5
Johnny Walker Red Label takes the cake for the world’s number one scotch whisky. However, just because it’s the top-selling scotch doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s the best. While the famous Red Label scotch is appealing to those who enjoy cereal flavor profiles, people who prefer fruity or floral flavors may have a different choice in mind.
Let’s take a look at some other great scotches that are top choices worldwide:
- Ballantine’s Finest Blended Scotch – This sweet scotch has a recipe that dates back to the early 1900s. A popular choice for those who enjoy a honey flavor with a refreshing aftertaste.
- Grant’s Triple Wood Blended Scotch – This independent scotch label has been in business since 1887. As the name suggests, it has been matured in 3 separate wood caskets. This scotch has a fruity flavor profile with a subtle hint of vanilla.
- GlenDronach Revival – This 15-year-old scotch is one of the top choices to give as a gift during the holidays. Scotch drinkers can’t resist the rich flavors of chocolate, cherries, honey, and pecans. It has one of the most delicious and long-lasting flavors.
- Ardbeg Islay Single Malt Scotch – A 10-year-old scotch that is beloved for its peaty flavor profile. Those who enjoy a smokey finish are often impressed by this choice of scotch.
When trying to determine you’re new favorite scotch, you may be curious which scotches have won awards lately. Let’s take a look at which brands have won prizes:
- Glenallachie 10-Year-Old Batch 4 – Winner of “World’s Best Single Malt” at 2021 World Whiskies Awards
- Bunnahabhain 25 Years Old – Winner of “Taste Master” at Scotch Whisky Masters
- Ardbeg Uigeadail – Winner of “Whiskey of the Year” at the International Whisky Competition
Check out the best whisky expressions of 2021!
While scotch whisky is easy to enjoy, the price of a bottle can get quite high. A lot of people are skeptical about cheaper-priced scotch because the quality is often as low as the price. If you want to enjoy a top-notch scotch at a more reasonable price, Aberfeldy 12-year-old scotch is one of the best picks.
This affordable scotch is made in a distillery in Central Highlands that has been in operation since 1898. One of the reasons why Aberfeldy’s 12-year-old scotch sits well with consumers is because of the mix of sweet cherry flavors balanced by woody tannins. It is a delicious, yet affordable scotch, to drink neat.
A lot of people consider age when picking out a scotch. The top choice for a well-aged scotch is Glenfarclas’s 25-year-old scotch. This scotch is an absolute hit because it has been aged in oloroso casks that lead to a gorgeous nutty finish that is perfectly balanced with a hint of sherry, chocolate, and citrus. This scotch may be one of the best choices to have with a dessert.
A lot of scotch consumers these days are paying attention to cask strength. People don’t want to drink a scotch that has been diluted, instead, they are searching for bottles that are full of flavor. This is why many consumers are looking for information about maturation and the casks used when reviewing scotch labels.
Laphroaig’s 10-year-old scotch is one of the world’s number one scotch picks for a whisky with the right level of cask strength. The smokey and earthy flavors are very noticeable in this scotch. It was aged in bourbon barrels and bottled directly from the cask fur full flavor.
Scotch is becoming one of the most popular selling liquors worldwide. Each year, scotch sales increase by an impressive amount, leading to higher demand for the beverage. However, scotch drinkers are particular about the beverage they are consuming. Every consumer wants to bring home the best bottle of scotch in the world.
Currently, Johnny Walker Red Label has the spot of the world’s number one scotch, regarding sales. It is the best-selling scotch and has positive reviews from consumers worldwide. However, if you’re looking for the perfect scotch to have after work or to give as a gift, you have many great options to choose from.