Jameson whiskey: The authentic taste of Ireland
Jameson is an Irish whiskey producer. The brand was founded in 1780 in Dublin. Until 1971 the whiskey was produced in Bow Street in Smithfield Village. Nowadays the destillery’s headquarters are situated in Midelton, Cork. The brand produces blended whiskey and is by far the best selling Irish brand.
A brief summary of the brands history
In 1966 John Jameson, Cork Distillers and John Powers created Irish Distillers Group in order to increase the sales of Irish whiskey. The mission was a sucess and Jameson gained worlwide popularity. Since 1988 the brand is part of the french label Pernod Ricard. Good to know: The old distillery in Bow Street is definetely worth a visit. It contains a museum and offers guided tours and whiskey tastings. Curious fact: The biggest market for Jameson is by far the USA. In 2008 an Irish pub located in Minneapolis sold 671 cases of Jameson, which is equal to an average of 22 bottles per day.
Irish whiskey with an outstanding taste
Opposed to scotch Jameson Irish Whiskey is being produced without the usage of peat. The barley is being dried in a closed oven, which is heated with natural gas. The result of the process is a mild whiskey that lacks smokey notes. By the way: The Irish brand receives a lot of good critics. All the brands expressions, especially the 18 year old and the Rarest Reserve received gold and double gold in the years 2005 and 2010.
- Jameson Original, floral nose with a hint of nuts and wood, sweet taste with flavors of vanilla, sherry and nuts
- Jameson 12 Year Old Special Reserve (formerly known as Jameson 1780), blend of whiskeys that age in former bourbon and sherry casks, fruity whiskey that contains flavors of honey and pears, has a long and pleasing aftertaste
- Jameson 12 Year Old Distillery Reserve, available at their two visitor centres in Ireland, spicy bouquet with hints of vanilla and wood, tastes like a well-balanced combination of fruits and nuts, long and creamy aftertaste
- Jameson Gold Reserve (the only expression that is aging in virgin American oak), smells like sweet spices and dried fruits, contains flavor of nutmeg, oak and fruitcake, received a very high rating from Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible in 2008
- Jameson 18 Year Old Limited Reserve, very intense nose with aromas of Sherry, essential oils, spices and toffee, tastes smooth like toffee, fudge, vanilla and leather, has a spicy aftertaste, that lingers in your mouth for a long time
- Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve (Jameson’s oldest blend), intense bouquet with aromas of ripe, exotic fruits, plums, cinnamon and licorice, sweet and creamy taste, long finish that contains fruity notes and barley
- Jameson Signature Reserve, floral and sweet nose with hints of apple, tastes like honey, cedar and nuts, long finish with warm and sweet flavors
- Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel, outstanding nose with aromas of butterscotch, toffee, fudge and ripes apples, spicy and sweet taste with hints of vanilla and roasted nuts, smooth and long finish
- Jameson Caskmates, bouquet of fresh, green fruits, tastes like cacao and marzipan, long finish with flavors of cream, chocolate and butterscotch
Did you ever try any expression of Jameson Whiskey? Or did you receive Irish whiskey in your last Whisky Subscription box? If not let Jameson be part of your next whiskey tasting! And don’t forget to send us a mail or leave a comment! We wanna hear your opinion!