Germany is a country that is best known for its beer. What many people do not know however, is that Germany has the second most whisky distilleries out of any country in the world. The only country that has more whisky distilleries is Scotland.
This guide will expose you to the best German whiskey expressions available today.
Sip this article:
- Stork Club Straight Rye Whiskey
- Hardenberg Club Straight Wheat
- Spicily Sweet Blended Malt, by Sensibar
- Jane Doe 2000
- The Best German Whiskey Expressions from Beverbach
- The Best German Whiskey Expressions from That Boutique-y Whisky Company
- Final Thoughts
The Best German Whiskey Expressions
This is one of Europe’s classic rye whiskeys to use when mixing cocktails. Stork Club Straight Rye Whiskey is finely aged in barrels of American and German oak. This is perfect with highballs and cocktails.
This is a classic example of German whiskey and is one of the best whiskeys to use when mixing drinks.
- Tasting Notes – When you try Stork Club Straight Rye Whiskey you will notice hints of caramel, spice, espresso, and dark chocolate. All of this matches a peppery rye finish.
Spicily Sweet Blended Malt is a fun, festive, and spicy German whiskey that is bottled by an independent bottling company known as Sansibar. This expression is a Small Batch, which makes it more difficult to find and, therefore, more exclusive to have.
- Tasting Notes – When you try out Spicily Sweet Blended Malt – Sansibar, you will first notice the aroma of butter malt, fig jam, and a hint of pine. You will also notice the taste melted chocolate combined with cinnamon and mango.
Are you looking for a delicious straight wheat whiskey that comes straight from the heart of northwest Germany in the Hardenberg Distillery? This distillery has been running ever since 1700 and this drink is a tribute to the ancestors of this club, since among them there were ministers, poets and so many other renowned personalities.
The Hardenberg Club Straight Wheat is a german whiskey expression is made with a mix of malted and unmalted barley and matured in American white oak casks and has a finish in Port & German Napoleon Oak Barrels.
- Tasting Notes – When you try out the Hardenberg Club Straight Wheat, one of the first things that you might notice is that there are notes of sweet milk chocolate along with fruity and nutty flavors. There are also combinations of fresh oak and vanilla, as it intensifies into a spiced chocolate, charred fruit, with cinnamon and peppery notes.
Are you looking for a mystery malt? Well, you should check out Jane Doe 2000 by the Malts of Scotland. This is another example of a German whiskey that is distilled by a German company, but in another country.
- Tasting Notes – When you decide to give Jane Doe 2000 Malts of Scotland a try, the first thing that you will notice is the overwhelmingly powerful aroma and taste of the intense fruity flavors.
Although it is named after Scotland, this is another classic German whisky distilled by a German company.
The Best German Whiskey Expressions from Beverbach
This is an iconic German whiskey that comes from the Hardenberg Distillery. The Beverbach Tequila Cask Finish has been finely aged in barrels of both bourbon and brandy. After this, it was transferred to casks of tequila for a final finishing period of half a year. This combination of finishings makes it a tasty beverage to sip on slowly.
- Tasting Notes – When you first decide to try out Beverbach Tequila Cask Finish, you will notice a couple of things right away. You’ll notice scents of fruit, caramel, fresh hops, and green oak all combine to create a pleasant aroma. When you taste it, you will love the crisp fruity flavors such as green apples and pears that combine with the taste of biscuit and tangy pepper.
Beverbach Adventures Edition 1 – Aged At Sea
Beverbach Adventures Edition 1 is a special brand of German whiskey that comes from the Hardenberg Distillery in northwest Germany. This is an adventurous whiskey that aged at sea on a freight ship. The sea air and constant motion gave the finish a quite unique flavor and the result was 812 bottles of a daring german whiskey expression.
If you are looking for a break from the traditional German whiskey that is finished on land in a warehouse, give Beverbach a shot. This is a German whiskey that is aged at sea for a unique flavor.
- Tasting Notes – When you try Beverbach Adventures Edition 1 – Aged At Sea, there are a few things you will immediately notice. You will notice an aroma of wood smoke, autumn fruit, and barley. You’ll also enjoy the taste of the apricot, honey, and vanilla. These flavors are also tinged with hints of oak, spice, and smoke.
Here’s an itinerary around the Top 12 German Distilleries!
The Slyrs 3 Years Old is a quite unique whiskey expression, specially due to the maturation time, which was spent in dubbed “crocodile toast” casks. That is, the casks were given a severe charring and that has impact on the final product (as casks are supposed to).
Besides this fact, this German whiskey expression by Slyrs is bottled and sold by That Boutique-y Whisky Company, that contribute for a unique bottling with amazing, and quite collectible, label artwork. The label of the Slyrs 3 Year Old features a painting of a beer hall during Oktoberfest.
You won’t find a whiskey that is much more German than this one and the last batch is a 691 bottles release.
- Tasting Notes – When you try Slyrs 3 Year Old, you will notice a few things right away. The first thing that you might notice is the aroma that is a mixture of apple pie, vanilla custard, plums, and dry hay. You’ll also notice the taste, which is a mix of barley, pepper, lemongrass, and biscuits.
This is another classic single malt whisky from That Boutique-y Whisky Company, in tandem with the Destillerie Ralf Hauer. Just like with other whiskeys sold by That Boutique-y Whisky Company, this drink has gorgeous artwork on the label.
This is one of the best german whiskey expressions you can get, since the maturation process is quite unusual. The Destillerie Ralf Hauer 4 Year Old is matured in ex-sherry casks and finished in bourbon casks. The other reason for it being an amazing dram to have in the drawer is that the first batch was released in just 366 bottles.
- Tasting Notes – The first thing that you will notice when you try Destillerie Ralf Hauer 4 Year Old is the oaky vanilla flavor. After that you will notice hints of pepper, spice, and undertones of fruit.
This is another great whiskey from That Boutique-y Whisky Company. Elsburn 3 Year Old is a single malt that comes from a collaboration with the Hammerschmiede Distillery. This was maturing in Marsala wine casks for three years before it was bottled.
Just like with other whiskeys that are sold by That Boutique-y Whisky Company, Elsburn 3 Year Old has beautiful and fantastic artwork on the label. In this case, it shows a group of people playing music to serenade a dragon.
- Tasting Notes – When you try Elsburn 3 Year Old, the first thing that you are going to notice is the whiff of cherry and dark chocolate that hits your nose. Then you’ll notice the scents of wood smoke, tobacco, and almond butter. When you taste it you will notice the taste of dates, raisin, cherry, as well as oak and dark chocolate.
Germany might be a country that is known for its beer more than its hard liquor. However, many people are surprised to learn that Germany has the second largest number of whisky distilleries out of any country in the world.